[Private Network]
Dec. 1st, 2008 07:48 pmNear
It may not be necessary to say this, but there is no longer any need to consider Mello a suspect for these killings. However, you will continue to monitor his movements and report with regular updates. He may not be directly involved but I believe he still has a part to play yet.
I assume you must have heard about the most recent reported deaths, as well. I would like to hear what thoughts you might have about them.
It may not be necessary to say this, but there is no longer any need to consider Mello a suspect for these killings. However, you will continue to monitor his movements and report with regular updates. He may not be directly involved but I believe he still has a part to play yet.
I assume you must have heard about the most recent reported deaths, as well. I would like to hear what thoughts you might have about them.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 01:21 am (UTC)It's extremely difficult to think of what might have been capable of this morning's international massacre. Considering the circumstances, with the victims having been incarcerated at the time, I can only suggest that it may have been the work of either an organization with ties outside of whatever nation it originates in - an organization with access to prisoners no less - or, as distasteful as this suggestion might be, some kind of 'supernatural' element. I really don't like that, but there's no way to deny it could be the case. The chance has definitely increased from 1% to at least 50%.
Whether it is a conspiracy or some kind of superpowered creature, there are clearly only two choices: either the person behind this is stupid and lives in London, or they are clever and do not.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 01:55 am (UTC)Yes, I am glad you mentioned that. Actually, I would not consider it a distasteful suggestion, and in fact I would put the possibility at roughly 70% at this point. There was evidence for it from the very beginning, but this morning's attack very nearly confirms it.
As for the location of the original perpetrator, yes, I do agree. There will be ways of discovering that fact soon enough.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 02:27 am (UTC)I think it is distasteful because I don't like to believe that there are supernatural powers at work in the world. However, it's impossible to argue with evidence.
Personally, I think it is more likely that they were clever and do not live in London.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 03:06 am (UTC)I assume this means that you have not seen any possible evidence of it yourself? Of course, there is still a small chance that all of this can be explained by routine methods, but I would suggest that you accustom yourself to the idea that there are things you will find distasteful about the world and this case in particular.
What have you based this on?
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 03:35 am (UTC)Everything about this case is distasteful no matter who's involved or how they're doing it. They're passing judgment on criminals but they're nothing but a mass-murderer themselves.
But this motivation is another reason why I consider it more likely that the mastermind is clever and does not live in London. Stupid people rarely think on this large a scale. Megalomania is more symptomatic of high intelligence than low. Aside from certain predisposition issues, I would guess this is because gifted children who grow up among normal people are often subjected to so much attention and approval, and so little disapproval or correction, that they begin to perceive themselves as superior.
In this particular case, I think that is what we were dealing with: a person with an ego so overdeveloped that they consider themselves to be outside the natural order of things. If there is, indeed, a supernatural element involved then this is only worsened - having come into the possession of such powers would simply confirm their "very specialness" and thus trigger yet another increase in their egotism.
Thus leading to their decision to, as the saying goes, play judge, jury and executioner. Of course the reason for this particular focus is still unclear - are they a moral zealot, or have their chosen their victims in order to garner public support? If it is the latter, I'm afraid their choice may be effective, which could create a greater problem as the more public support they manage to gain the larger their ego will grow and the more twisted their psyche will become.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 05:00 am (UTC)An interesting analysis of our suspect. No doubt that the addition of a supernatural element in these conditions will simultaneously support and cripple a mind, even an impressive one as we appear to be looking at here. No, make that especially, given their rather blatant egotism. If you are correct, and if this continues to escalate, it is very likely that they will become unstable, and more likely to make a mistake, but also more dangerous.
But that remains to be seen. For now, I would say that this gives us a reasonably solid profile to work from. However, I believe you are missing an obvious question, Near. Perhaps you need more time to figure it out.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 05:15 am (UTC)Another question?
I see. The question of why London in particular was targeted. That is more difficult. It's difficult to gauge without understanding the person in question. I believe they want to be known, but they do not want to be caught. They used London as a sandbox, watching people's reactions as well as the response of the authorities while they tested their ability to coordinate and control the deaths.
But as for why London specifically, it could be as simple as its being a heavily populated, high crime area. If that is the case, it could as easily have been New York, Paris or Tokyo (among others). Or perhaps it is a personal reason, such as a vendetta or something similar.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 06:23 am (UTC)Yes, that is what I was looking for, and your answer was satisfactory. If it is possible to discover the reason for their choice of starting location, we may be able to gain some significant insight. But as you've said, this is unlikely to be possible until we're able to better understand the psychology of the killer.
It seems obvious by now that they are intending to develop a reputation for themselves, either as their main focus or as a supplementary goal. If they are able to gauge the reaction of the public based on their activities in London, then so are we. That should help us to devise a decent strategy with which to deal with them.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 06:49 am (UTC)Yes. I've been watching the reactions of Londoners already. There seems to be a polarisation developing between those who approve and those who do not. I'm a little disappointed (but not really surprised) in people if killing a lot of criminals is all it takes to make them happy.
Anyway, the killer will almost definitely know that by now. I can only assume this knowledge (along with the implied completion of whatever sandbox-type experimentation he or she was conduction) is what allowed this person to expand beyond the single area.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 10:56 pm (UTC)I imagine they find it satisfying to know that someone is eliminating a problem they do not want to think about. Still, it is encouraging that there is not an overwhelming support for these acts, no doubt something the killer will know as well. Now that they have moved beyond their initial testing grounds, they will almost certainly be experimenting in ways to gain the approval of the rest of the world, or at the very least to gain their tolerance.
Of course, I do not think there is any large chance that they will be discouraged by only partial support, which makes them very dangerous.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 11:07 pm (UTC)One step too far and the world will change.
no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 11:29 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2008-12-02 11:35 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2008-12-03 12:12 am (UTC)In the future it may be necessary for me to call upon your services once again, but for now Mello and Matt are your absolute priorities. I do not expect to be disappointed.
That will be all.